Who is Cathy J. Thompson, AKA Nursing Education Expert?
Welcome to my website!
“I am a Master Teacher who mentors and coaches nurses and nursing students so they can confidently change nursing practice to provide excellent, evidence-based care to patients and their families.”
I am a doctorally-prepared nurse (PhD, RN) certified as an Acute and Critical Care Clinical Nurse Specialist (CCNS) and as a Certified Nurse Educator (CNE).
The short version of my bio is that I am an award-winning, nurse educator who has taught in major universities for over 20 years. My teaching areas of expertise are advanced pathophysiology, applied evidence-based practice, CNS/Advanced Practice courses, nursing education, and acute and critical care.
- I am the President and CEO of CJT Consulting & Education. My expertise is in evidence-based practice; systems leadership; curriculum development; curriculum redesign (especially for CNS programs needing to shift gears from specialty- to population- based programs); CNS education; and the use of CNSs in the hospital setting. To work with me, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- I recently finished a 2-year Visiting Professorship at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs, Helen and Arthur E. Johnson Beth-El College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
- I am the Educator’s Column editor for the Clinical Nurse Specialist journal.
- I was the Lead Subject Matter Expert for the new CNS certification practice exam offered by AACN for adult-gerontology acute care clinical nurse specialists (AG-CNS) in preparing for the ACCNS-AG certification exam. Check it out on the AACN website at ACCNS-AG Certification Review Course Online. Receive this review course free when you apply for the ACCNS-AG certification exam.
AACN Press Release: ACCNS-AG Review Course, March 11, 2014, “Online course helps clinical nurse specialists prepare for ACCNS-AG certification exam”
- I have received multiple teaching awards, including the first CNS Educator of the Year award from the National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (NACNS).
- I have helped to mold the future of nursing through local and national leadership in multiple professional nursing and interprofessional organizations.
- My research has been focused on research utilization and evidence-based practice (specifically building capacity for EBP at an organizational and individual level), the scholarship of teaching and learning, and (way back!) pain in adults and infants.
- I have presented at national and international conferences and have multiple publications, including book chapters, relevant to evidence-based practice, nursing education, and critical care topics.
I have taught in undergraduate and graduate nursing programs for over 20 years:
- Visiting Professor, University of Colorado Colorado Springs, Helen and Arthur E. Johnson Beth-El College of Nursing and Health Sciences
- Indiana University School of Nursing in Indianapolis (Adjunct Faculty)
- University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Center, College of Nursing (CU-CON) in Denver/Aurora, Colorado (Tenured; CNS Option Coordinator)
- Regis University in Denver
- University of Texas Houston – Health Sciences Center, School of Nursing
I hope you enjoy the site and find the content helpful for your clinical and professional practice. Please sign up to be alerted to new posts and offerings, including my newsletter!
Thank you for stopping by!
Please let me know how I can improve this site and if there is specific content I can provide or questions to answer. To get in touch with me, go to my Contact/Feedback page; I look forward to your emails and comments.
Strive for Excellence!